Any comments or suggestions for this page? Email our Webmaster
© 2001-2011 Veterans Transition Center
All images and content are copyrighted and may not be used without permission.
Updated June 20, 2011
Martinez Hall History
Martinez Hall was constructed in 1941. It was originally Fort Ord's Post Headquarters and later it was utilized as the officers' club and the Fort Ord Welcome Center for newly arriving soldiers. The building was named Martinez Hall in May 1977 in the memory of Private Joe P. Martinez, a member of the 32nd infantry 7th Division. He was the first 7th Infantry Division soldier to be awarded the Medal of Honor and the first Latino to receive America's highest military honor for service during WWII.
Fort Ord Background
Since Fort Ord's closing in 1993, most buildings were left unoccupied. With Monterey's current housing crisis, members of VTC began working to obtain some of the former Army housing and buildings in the hope of restoring them and using them to better the lives of homeless veterans.
Two sections of property from the former Fort have been obtained for these purposes. The first is several houses in the Patton Park area, which once served as military housing and will serve as VTC's transitional housing program. The second is Martinez Hall, the former base reception center and early officer's club that will serve as the service center.
Martinez Hall is currently being used for the Day Program, and the future plan is for this facility to be used for the Martinez Hall Service Center